Eric W. Smith
Eric was born and raised on a farm and ranch in western Kansas where he learned the values of hard work, honesty and fair treatment for all. He has a strong desire to help people who have been mistreated in the workplace, and providing justice for his clients is the driving force in his work.
Eric has tried cases to juries for over 25 years. A combination of hard work, a deep understanding of the law, and his sincere belief in his clients has consistently produced outstanding results at trial. Eric’s focus is representing employees in age, sex, race, and disability discrimination claims, whistle-blowing claims, harassment, retaliation and civil rights claims, wrongful termination claims, wage and hour class actions, executive contract disputes, and victims of serious personal injuries.
Eric enjoys working with front line employees, managers, executives and large groups of employees. His prior experience representing large employers provides valuable perspective in obtaining the best possible results for individual employees.
Prior to joining Siro Smith Dickson, Eric was a partner in the employment and business litigation groups of a large national law firm based in Kansas City. Eric has been repeatedly recognized as a Kansas/Missouri Super Lawyer in the area of employment litigation and one of Kansas City’s Best of the Bar in the labor and employment field. He has been awarded and maintains an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell for the highest level of ability and ethical practice.
Some of Eric’s publications and presentations on employment law are as follows:
- “Big Verdicts in Missouri: Secrets of Plaintiffs’ Counsel” Missouri Bar Presentation
- “The Nature And Changing Aspects of Employment Practice in Missouri” Missouri Bar Presentation
- “Employee Leave Issues and Recent Updates” Kansas Bar Association Annual Meeting
- “The Multimillion Dollar Tide: FLSA Overtime Litigation” Kansas City Business Journal
- “Employment Class Action Update: Recent Trends and Developments” Class Action Perspective
- “Privacy in the Employment Context” Chapter in Missouri Employment Law
- “Winning Employment Litigation Cases At Trial” Missouri Bar Presentation
- “Electronic Discovery: New Rules for New Technology” Missouri Bar Annual Meeting
Eric is licensed to practice law in the state and federal trial and appellate courts of Kansas, Missouri, and the District of Columbia.
1994 Yale Law School – J.D.
1991 University of Kansas – Highest Distinction, B.A. with Honors in Political Science
Honors Phi Beta Kappa